Posts in Upper Post Fort Snelling
Upper Post of Fort Snelling: Dead House / Morgue

The yellow brick morgue was originally built in 1904. It was used to store bodies of deceased military personnel from the post during the months when the ground was too frozen to bury them. An addition to the morgue in 1933 more than doubled the square footage. The need for additional housing in 1938 caused the morgue to be revamped into living quarters for the Senior

Read More
Upper Post of Fort Snelling: Post Movie Theater

Fort Snelling was renowned for its recreational opportunities for servicemen and their families. One of the most popular activities for families was to go to the post theatre. The original theatre was nothing fancy--a wooden structure with hardwood floors and 12’ ceilings. It was built around the turn of the century but greatly altered in the mid-1920s. The entire theatre was just over 3,000 square-feet and seated up to 438 people. It stood near the post school and guardhouse, near where Building 66 is today.

Read More
Upper Post of Fort Snelling: Band Barracks

The yellow brick barracks for the Fort Snelling band originally housed about 28 military musicians. Built in 1903, the barracks feature a three-story projecting bay with wooden porches on both sides on the first and second stories. The porches were originally open but the first-floor porches have now been enclosed. The second-story porches feature round, wooden

Read More
Upper Post of Fort Snelling: Post School

Prior to Minnesota becoming a state, most of a child's educational needs were met by either their parents or a local priest/pastor who could devote time to teaching them. Once Fort Snelling was built, the wives of the post commandant and officers took up the task of teaching the children that lived at the fort. The women focused on teaching the three Rs, polite manners,

Read More
Upper Post of Fort Snelling: Quartermaster's Shops

A construction boom took place in the upper post of Fort Snelling when the Department of the Dakota moved its headquarters to the fort in 1879. Building 63 was originally constructed to house the Quartermaster’s Shops for this new part of the post, but later became the Post Exchange. Originally lit with oil lamps, electricity was added in the 1910s. In 1926, it was

Read More