West Riverside School Near Cambridge
Built in 1898, the West Riverside School was originally known as District #38 School. Isanti County once had 67 rural schools similar to this. Aside from teaching children, one of the important roles of rural schools was to teach immigrants the English language and prepare them for the American citizenship exam. Most were also an important community center for social and cultural events.
Located one mile west of Cambridge, the West Riverside School is constructed of brick made in nearby Springvale Township. The open bell tower still houses a black iron bell. West Riverside operated until 1971 when the last of the remaining rural schools were consolidated. The school has been restored to its 1900 appearance by the Isanti County Historical Society. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
West Riverside School (80002076), National Register of Historic Places Nomination File, State Historic Preservation Office, Minnesota Historical Society, St. Paul.