Posts in Article
The Duluth Homesteads Project

The Duluth Homestead Project, also known as the Jackson Project, began under the United States Resettlement Administration (USRA) in 1936. The purpose of the program was to relieve the shortage of sustainably affordable housing for families in Duluth. Qualified families in the Duluth area could receive a house on five

Read More
Mudbaden Sulphur Springs

In 1890, Ole Rosenthal and a friend were moving a cart across his property near the Minnesota River in Scott County when the cart got stuck in the mud. Believe it or not, both men were overjoyed when they noticed a strong sulfur smell coming from the mud that was being churned up as they tried to dislodge the cart. Stories about medical spas in Germany

Read More
Daniel Piper House in Medford

Daniel Piper came to Minnesota from New Hampshire with his wife and daughter in early 1877. Although he had been a successful lumberman out east, he decided to try his hand at farming in Minnesota. He purchased a tract of farmland near Medford and began building his New England style farmstead in 1877.

Read More
The Ruins of the Archibald Mill

The Archibald mill is located on the banks of the Cannon River in Dundas. Brothers John S. and Edward T. Archibald came to Hastings in 1856 from Ontario, Canada. John worked at the Ramsey Mill for a short time, while Edward operated a real estate business. After witnessing the success of the Ramsey Mill, the brothers decided to strike out on their own and operate their own mill.

Read More
The Church of the Holy Cross

The Church of the Holy Cross in Dundas is a Gothic-style church built in 1868. John S. Archibald of the prominent Archibald milling family was the driving force behind the formation of the Episcopal congregation and construction of the church. The church was constructed across the street from his brother Edward Archibald’s home. Edward lived in the Greek Revival-style home with his wife and two sons

Read More
The Almelund Creamery

The first cooperative creamery opened in Almelund in 1896 and quickly gained a reputation for producing high-quality products. One of the co-op organizers was  T.H. Haecker, a professor of dairying at the University of Minnesota and staunch advocate for farmer-owned cooperative creameries. In 1897, co-op member Emil Blomquist became state butter

Read More
The Geldner Sawmill in Cleveland

The Geldner Sawmill stands on a narrow strip of land that separates Lake Jefferson and German Lake near Cleveland. It was constructed nearby in the 1860s and moved to its present location around 1876. The sawmill operated until 1973, helping to carve farmland out of the Big Woods that were once rife with elm, basswood, sugar , and red oak.

Read More
Almond White and the Motley Castle

Vermont-native Almond A. White came to Minnesota after the Civil War and settled in Brainerd for a short time before moving to Moorhead in the early 1870s. White and business partner Solomon Comstock founded a real estate business that would grow into one of the largest real estate firms in the great northwest. On the day of his graduation in 1864

Read More
Lost Highway 61

History buffs and curiosity seekers revel in finding a piece of the past. Stumbling across something long forgotten is an excellent way to travel back in time, even if it’s only for a few moments. Thanks to the internet, the stumbling has become easier. In the summer of 2013, Google maps helped me stumble across an abandoned section of Highway 61—one of

Read More
Florence Town Hall

Florence Town Hall is located along Highway 61 in Frontenac Station. The land to build the town hall was donated by Israel Garrard--a wealthy sportsman who established nearby Frontenac--in 1875. An addition to the tiny hall was added in 1916 that included a stage, dressing rooms, and an indoor bathroom. Tourism brought both performers and an

Read More
Roscoe Butter and Cheese Factory

By the end of the 19th century, dairy was quickly out-pacing wheat as the top agricultural commodity in the southeastern part of the state. Small but efficient factories began dotting the countryside to process the milk into butter and cheese. By the end of the 1930s, there were 19 creameries and 17 cheese factories located throughout Goodhue County alone.

Read More
The Dudley Mansion in Duluth

Most of us wouldn’t consider a 13,000 square foot mansion situated on a six-acre wooded lot with more than 400-feet of Lake Superior shoreline anything less than the very finest. But having a majestic estate like Glensheen for a neighbor is tough! When Harry and Marjorie Dudley built their home, they chose not to compete with their (very familiar) neighbors to

Read More
Spencer Brook: Nearly a Ghost Town

Settled in 1854 by Pennsylvania native Benjamin Spencer, Spencer Brook was one of the first communities in Isanti County. During the 1850s, Spencer Brook became a favorite spot for east coast Yankees seeking lumbering opportunities. The nearby Rum River provided the flowing waters needed to float logs downstream to the Twin Cities.

Read More
District 6 School in New Sweden

The District 6 school in New Sweden Township stands in a field surrounded by tall stalks of corn in the summer and drifts of white snow in the winter. This pretty, white clapboard building with a porch and full basement was constructed in 1929. It is the third school to stand on this site—the first was built in the 1860s and the second in 1891.

Read More